Monday, November 17, 2014

Monday Member Interview: Janet Chui

Janet Chui Art Janet Chui is a freelance fantasy artist living in Singapore. She has worked with various writers and role-playing game companies to produce pencil and watercolor illustrations for books.

Follow Janet Chui at:
Etsy
Blog
Facebook
Pinterest
Twitter
Website




How did you come up with your shop name?
"Magic and Meditation" is the unofficial name for my Etsy store. I'm big on meditating regularly and the results from it have been pretty magical. I used to be quite negative about my own art - which doesn't mean I don't still get crises of confidence, but nowadays I try to get back to painting and brainstorming more quickly! I hope my paintings inspire people towards introspection and hope!

What sparked your love for fantasy?
Enid Blyton books when I was a child. I really used to be so envious of those kids from England - I always wanted to find fairies in my backyard, too. Now I have.

What are your other passions?
Learning, teaching and getting out of my comfort zone. My interests are wide, and I have fun connecting my various interests with my creativity, whether an idea finally expresses itself in a painting or a crafted object. I think it's not enough for me to learn, but I often need to re-express ideas or put them into a physical form. So I've started blogging and reaching out to others via meetings and meditation circles to share some of the ways I've learned to incorporate art-making (itself a form of meditation) into everyday life.


Janet Chui Art Shop on Etsy

1 comment: