Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday Member Interview: Ethereal Earth

Alison Spokes Profile on Etsy Get fairies at Ethereal Earth! Beautiful digital paintings by Alison Spokes are available on art prints, fantasy cards, key chains, glass pendants, kitchen magnets and more.

Follow Ethereal Earth at:
Etsy
Blog
deviantArt
Facebook
Google+
Pinterest
Twitter




How did you learn to paint digitally?
A lot of trial and error. I really just jumped in and tried it. My sister was the first one to prompt me to do it while she was tinkering with digital art in school. I rejected it at first because I found Adobe Photoshop too overwhelming. Later, I read a digital painting tutorial on Corel Painter by Nene Thomas in an issue of Faerie Magazine. I played with the brushes she recommended in her tutorial over top of a line drawing done by another artist just to get a feel for the brushes. When I found I was happy with the results, I gained the confidence to try painting one of my own drawings. The rest is history.

What inspires you to make your creations?
Nature. Colour. Costumes. I like to take real life animals and environments and give them an enchanted quality or persona. I also really like colour and pay a lot of attention to how they interact with each other. I can be inspired simply by a pallet. Often costumes will inspire me, and I'll create a character with a certain costume in mind and the rest of the image is built around that costume.

What sparked your love for fantasy?
I was probably around 8 years old when I fell in love with The Chronicles of Narnia. A few years later I discovered Labyrinth and The Princess Bride. As a teen a started reading (listening to) the Dragonlance series and played a lot of video games. At 19 I discovered fairy artwork and have been hooked ever since. My mother was/is a fantasy geek; my father was a sci-fi geek, so I had a lot of parental influence. I think I took a little more after my mother in this case.



Ethereal Earth Shop on Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment